Monday, January 7, 2008

Post Bowl Dream Draft

Here is my post bowl game dream draft for my team, The Denver Broncos.

== Targeted Positions==

RB- Selvin Young or Travis Henry? I expect Henry to stay with the team at a cheaper rate because he DID play well before his "problems" distracted him for pretty much the whole season. The only green I want you seeing in 2008 is the endzone Travis.

FB- Cecil Sapp a FB? I never liked that. Adrian Peterson has Tony Richardson, LT had Lorenzo Neal, Shaun Alexander had Mack Strong. If Paul Smith makes the roster in 08' this may get addressed though.

WR- This is a huge concern if Javon doesn't play in Invesco next fall. It is cheaper to keep him, but will he constantly run to the media every time Marshall shows him up in the statbook? I say plan as if he isn't going to be here.

LT- I really don't know if Ryan Harris will start for Lepsis or not. Right now I will assume he will, and Pears will man the other side.

DT- I have nothing positive to say about this group. Sam Adams is a fat waste of space, and the rest of the guys here are situational at best.

LB- I expect Ian Gold to be gone so this will be a need. I actually like Nate Webster as a serviceable SLB (or maybe all his post tackle celebrations tricked me). WLB will be a need, because DJ Williams just posted a Pro Bowl season at MLB that went unnoticed and he should ot be moved back.

CB- It's going to be too expensive to keep this group together. I'd love to see us get out of the Dre Bly situation and promote Foxworth because without adequate safety help there is only so much either can do. But with that said, I expect Foxworth to be a salary cap casualty so there may be an issue here.

FS- Lynch is getting older and is quietly a liability in pass coverage. There is no one on the current roster that is groomed to takeover for Lynch right now. I expect to see safety addressed on draft day.

KR- We need someone. Anyone.

==The Draft==

The rule of the NFL draft is that you must select the guy that will start for you. Last year my top pick was Anthony Spencer, along with Sidney Rice in the 2nd... so..

1. Sedrick Ellis, Southern California. The best DT on the board. Okam fans aren't going to be happy about this....

....but they will be happy about this...

2. Frank Okam, Texas. Of course there is possibly a couple of trades involved in us getting up about 5-10 spots or so. (Javon, future picks, etc.) Thinking with my Shanny hat on equals two DTs in the first 40 picks!

4. Marcus Griffin, Texas. A year later we address safety with a Griffin. His hands are better than his brother's, but he's a little slower timed.

4. Xavier Adibi, Va. Tech. He is small and quick like Ian Gold, but will come a lot cheaper. His speed can be utilized on special teams from day 1 if he doesn't start right away.

5. Mike Hart, Michigan. Hart's measurables are nothing to write home about but he proved he is a workhorse and was the only bright spot on the Wolverines for most of the season. Someone will look beyond his lack of measurables and take him if he slips in the 4th. Reminds me of a young Travis Henry, minus the Marley.

5. Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State. From here on out you are taking educated guesses basically, so I give Shanny the right to finally burn some on some WR's.

7. Jamal Lewis Georgia Tech. A safety that will compete in camp with Cargile and Rogers.

No comments:

2013 NFL DRAFT NOTEBOOK