Wednesday, February 27, 2013
1. Chiefs: Luke Joeckel OT Texas AM
The Chiefs have traded for Alex Smith so this one is set in stone. Joeckel is the latest OL to go #1 overall.
2. Jaguars: Dion Jordan DE Oregon
Dion Jordan is gaining traction fast. Probably the best pure athlete in the class and a good pass rusher. Put that together and you got magic.
3. Raiders: Sharrif Floyd DT Florida
Sharrif has come on strong lately. He was demolishing the drills at the combine while Star Lotuleli was on the sidelines with medical issues. Thus, he moves up.
4. Eagles: Demarcus Milliner CB Alabama
Milliner had his own medical issues but still shut down the combine. Nnamdi Asomugha's replacement.
5. Lions: Bjoern Werner DE Florida State
Lions released Vandenbosh and need a replacement. Is it Werner? Could be.
6. Browns: Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU
Fits in well with what they want to do in the 3-4. Phil Taylor clogging up the middle will give him room to operate.
7. Cardinals: Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan
Kolb is supposed to be restructuring his contract so Fisher is the guy we are looking at here. Young OT to stabilize the line.
8. Bills: Geno Smith QB West Virginia
Geno is the man who helped himself the most of the quarterbacks in the combine. All of the previous 2013 mock drafts had him going top 10 now it is no question. Bills finally put Fitzpatrick on the bench.
9. Jets: Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU
Ansah had a monster Senior bowl and is a solid top 15 pick. Jets would love a QB but will have to look a little bit later in the draft. Mike Glennon?
10. Titans: Chance Warmack OG Alabama
Titans need to provide Chris Johnson some running lanes. Warmack to the rescue?
11. Chargers: Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
It's time to rebuild and the best way to start a mini-rebuild is at left tackle.
12. Dolphins: Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee
The best receiver in the draft class, well at least on paper, goes to the Fins. They still need another WR.
13. Buccaneers: Desmond Trufant CB Washington
Shooting up the boards fast.
14. Panthers: Star Lotulelei DT Utah
Falls due to medical condition but he is still top 15-type talent.
15. Saints: Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
Also falls due to his medical issue but the Saints can't be luckier. Possibly the next Von Miller.
16. Rams: Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina
Rams have needed linemen for years.
17. Steelers: Damontre Moore DE Texas AM
Falls because of a crappy combine but Steelers plug him into a first class organization.
18. Cowboys: Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
Sensebaugh is good, but talent can be upgraded.
19. Giants: Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia
The Giants are in a cap crunch, so Chase Blackburn might not be back.
20. Bears: Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame
Jay Cutler needs a big TE to throw to over the middle.
21. Bengals: Sam Montgomery DE LSU
Michael Johnson is going to leave in free agency.
22. Rams: Keenan Allen WR California
Brian Quick wasn't active much so maybe they aren't sold on him.
23. Vikings: Tavon Austin WR West Virginia
The new Percy Harvin?
24. Colts: Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri
The 3-4 needs players.
25. Seahawks: Kawann Short DT Purdue
Possibly converts to DE full time.
26. Packers: Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
You have to stop re-signing Ryan Grant every time you are in a jam and develop someone.
27. Texans: Kevin Minter ILB LSU
Brian Cushing tore his ACL, Minter will help ease him back.
28. Broncos: Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State
I think Champ is still a top corner, but he is 34.
29. Patriots: Justin Hunter WR Tennessee
Brandon Lloyd will not be back.
30. Falcons: Matt Elam S Florida
William Moore is getting franchsied.
31. 49ers: Alex Okafor DE Texas
Need someone to take over for Justin Smith when he retires.
32. Ravens: Manti Teo ILB Notre Dame
Not the fastest LB in the draft, but nor was Ray Lewis and they won the Super Bowl.
photo credit: Hoosierguy Jeff via photopin cc
Monday, December 31, 2012
Quick rant. This is the reason why the NCAA must do something.
Ever since the freshman Johnny Manziel won the Heisman trophy he has been everywhere. David Letterman, courtside at NBA games, etc. But what he hasn't done is made any money.
Simple. Because he isn't allowed too. NCAA rules say that no player can profit from his image or athletic status. That is because they are "amateurs." Considering that every school sells jerseys with the numbers of current players, and cut the players in none of that cheese nor any of the gate or TV revenue it is a joke. Texas A&M lucked up. They have 3 more years to milk Johnny Football for every penny.
The only way he'll cash out is if he escapes a college career uninjured, makes an NFL team, and gets a big contract plus endorsements. Until then I guess in street terms A&M is going to pimp him for what he's worth.
Friday, November 23, 2012
There is a lot of speculation going on right now regarding who will be the first player picked in the 2013 NFL Draft. There are a whole lot of scenarios and each one could end up in a different player picked at the #1 position. Let's take a look...
Right now the four worst teams in the NFL are the Chiefs, Jaguars, Browns, and Panthers. Depending on who beats who and how the schedule works out one of those four teams will get the pick. Let's take a look at who may be the selection depending on which team ends up #1.
- If the Chiefs get the #1 pick- they should draft a Quarterback. Either Geno Smith or Matt Barkley, whoever they like more.
- If the Jaguars get the #1 pick- they should draft a Quarterback, but will likely draft the best player available instead. This not only includes Smith and Barkley as options, but brings Manti Teo, Jarvis Jones, and Luke Joeckel into play as serious options as well.
- If the Browns get the #1 pick- they should draft the best overall player. This means they would select either linebacker- Manti Teo or Jarvis Jones.
- If the Panthers get the #1 pick- they should draft the best defensive player. This would make Teo and Jones options but also defensive tackle Star Lotuleli.
Friday, November 9, 2012
The Panthers are a team that sadly I have to see play every Sunday. How can a team with Cam Newton at QB be *this* bad?
The struggle is real but it is simple actually. Carolina's problems boil down to two things:
(1) An inconsistent offense with no featured running game
(2) Inability to stop the run.
Though Carolina is improving on defense you have to say this teams main issues are defensive.
With no further adieu here are the Panthers 2013 NFL Draft needs:
(1) Defensive tackle
(3) Wide Reciever
Monday, October 22, 2012
- Browns- MATT BARKLEY, QB, USC
- Panthers- STAR LOTULELEI, DT, UTAH
- Jaguars- GENO SMITH, QB, WEST VIRGINIA
- Chiefs- JARVIS JONES, OLB, GEORGIA
- Saints- BARKEVIOUS MINGO, DE, L.S.U.
- Raiders- TYLER BRAY, QB, TENNESSEE
- Buccaneers- JOHNATHAN HANKINS, DT, OHIO ST.
- Lions- DEE MILLINER, CB, ALABAMA
- Bills- JUSTIN HUNTER, WR, TENNESSEE
- Bengals- MANTI TE'O, ILB, NOTRE DAME
- Jets- SAM MONTGOMERY, OLB, L.S.U.
- Rams- ERIC REID, S, L.S.U.
- Titans- CHANCE WARMACK, OG, ALABAMA
- Rams (from Washington)- LUKE JOECKEL, OT, TEXAS A&M
- Cowboys- KAWANN SHORT, DT, PURDUE
- Broncos- JOHNTHAN BANKS, CB, MISSISSIPPI ST.
- Colts- KEENAN ALLEN, WR, CALIFORNIA
- Dolphins- ROBERT WOODS, WR, USC
- Eagles- D.J. FLUKER, OT, ALABAMA
- Steelers- KENNY VACCARO, S, TEXAS
- Chargers- TYLER EIFERT, TE, NOTRE DAME
- Cardinals- TYLER WILSON, QB, ARKANSAS
- Packers- LE'VEON BELL, RB, MICHIGAN ST.
- Bengals (from New England- MARCUS LATTIMORE, RB, SOUTH CAROLINA
- Seahawks- RICK WAGNER, OT, WISCONSIN
- Ravens- T.J. MCDONALD, S, USC
- Vikings- COREY LEMONIER, OLB, AUBURN
- Giants- DAVID AMERSON, CB, NORTH CAROLINA ST.
- 49ers- BARRETT JONES, C, ALABAMA
- Bears- JACKSON JEFFCOAT, DE, TEXAS
- Texans- TAYLOR LEWAN, OT, MICHIGAN
- Falcons- MICHAEL BUCHANAN, DE, ILLINOIS
Posted by D at 10:09 AM
Thursday, September 20, 2012
I was incredibly and deeply saddened to learn about the passing of NFL Films President Steve Sabol.
Not just because he produced awesome footage but because he was one of the reasons I became a real fan of the NFL.
If it weren't for the NFL Yearbook series I have no idea how I would have ever been able to learn so much about the league's history as a young fan.
I always admired the quality of Sabols work not only as a fan but as an artist as well. NFL Films under Sabol was truly that. Art.
RIP to a legend of the game.
Monday, September 6, 2010
ESPN reports that Jets CB Darrelle Revis has agreed to a $32 million dollar guaranteed deal with the New York Jets.
If you bet "no" on Revis sitting out the entire season, you were correct.
That's a lot of money to keep him warm on that island.
Saturday, September 4, 2010
The Buffalo Bills cut two former college star receivers: James Hardy and Chad Jackson. James Hardy was a prospect with a ton of potential with his 6'6 frame but never showed any flashes in Buffalo. Maybe going to a team with a better QB will help.
Chad Jackson the former Patriots WR was a second round pick who many thought was a steal at the time he came out of Florida. I remember many blogs mocking him to the Denver Broncos. He would later play for the Broncos and be cut there as well... UFL is the next stop for Chad unfortunately.
More notable names on the cut list today include TJ Houshmandzadeh, Matt Jones, Pat White, Macho Harris, Bobby Carpenter, and "Regular Speed" Willie Parker.
Breaking news is that Matt Leinart will be released later today. The former #10 overall selection has been benched and now booted off the team after publicly addressing head coach Ken Wisenhunt.
So what do I think? First of all this is good for Matt. They didn't want him anyways, and he is still young enough to go compete elsewhere. But where exactly is elsewhere? I'm not sure but I am going to guess Matt finds his way to Southern California someway. Maybe as the Chargers backup. You never know.
All in all, it is going to be interesting to see if he can get his career back started.
Friday, September 3, 2010
DUN DUN DUN
Marcel Dareus has been ruled ineligible for the first two games of Alabama's season. Darues allegedly went to a party in Miami, and his travel expenses were paid for by some sort of an agent or benefactor. Several North Carolina players are also hooked up in this scandal as well.
All this drama for going to Miami? You would think these guys were on King James status.
According to ESPN, the school will appeal the suspension.
We will see what happens.